Being a single mom is never easy. Aside from doing all the day-to-day responsibilities, such as working in the office, cooking meals, washing the dishes, and cleaning the house, you also have to ensure that your kids are well raised, educated, and more importantly, protected – particularly in this age when property crimes are prevalent. As a mom, it’s also your responsibility to keep yourself safe for your children.
However, for a single mom, protecting herself and her children can be a hard work. Without an adult male living in your home, it’s easy to become a target of a home invasion. But this shouldn’t scare you. By taking necessary preventative measures and being more cautious, you’ll be able to keep yourself and children safe. Here’s how:
- Always check before you open the door. When someone knocks on your door, check first whose knocking before opening it. You can do this either by using your peephole or nearby window, or asking the person on the other side. If you don’t know or trust the person, keep the door close. You should also teach your children to not open your door to strangers.
- Make your property well-lit. Intruders prefer to sneak around in poor-lit or dark areas as this makes them hard to notice. Check the areas around the exterior of your home and make sure to have enough lighting on low-lit areas, such as in garage, front door, driveway, and yard. If possible, install a motion sensor lighting at your property to quickly detect a potential threat in your home.
- Trim shrubs and trees. Robbers and intruders tend to watch their target area before they attack it, and they do so by hiding in trees, shrubs, and other objects that can cover them. To discourage intruders from invading your property, remove or trim any trees, shrubs, or bushes around that could help them gain an access. If you like plants, though, consider growing plants that inflict pain instead, such as those with sharp leaves, thorns, spines, and irritant fibers.
- Install monitored security systems. Home security alarms are one of the best ways to ensure your safety and your children’s as well. These days, not only do high-end security systems can keep unscrupulous individuals out of your home, but also help you detect fires and other home hazards. If you’re in Baltimore, visit the City Locksmith Baltimore MD website to get the best security system that will best protect your property.
- Arm yourself and get proper training. Numerous schools and organizations out there provide training for families wanting to protect themselves and their property from harm. Attend some of these and you’ll learn different strategies to keep yourself and family safe in the face of all possible home threats, such as how to properly use weapons, how to use items you can find at home, such as pepper spray, to fight the invaders, and what actions to take to remain safe.
Threats are real, but don’t let them scare or frighten you. There are many things that you can do to keep away people who want to harm you, and some of them are already mentioned above. Do everything you can to protect yourself and your family against harm and threat.